jetNEXUS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Useful info > Other useful Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Google Analytics and First party cookies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Analytics and First party cookies
    Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 11:32am

I was recently asked how Google's analytics could create a first party cookie on a site that wasn't theirs. I thought this was a reasonable question so I have pasted my answer to this below.

The way this works is that, as you saw, the base html makes a request for a script file. Though this script file comes from google. It's use is in the page from webmetrics. It is the webmetrics page that runs the script and therefore it is still a first party cookie. The script file is just the code that the base page will run.

In my trace this then goes and retrieves an image from google of a 1 pixel gif file. This request will then send the cookies that are created, enabling google to track the usage.

jetNEXUS Support
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 4:30am
I once had read about this, about Google Analytics, and it just make me go crazy, analyticsSEO etc I am not good at this topics..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic